Wednesday, April 18, 2012

For The Birds......

I know this is a bit off the beaten path. As of late all of my pictures seem to capture the same subject...one of my two precious grandbabies. I do, however, have several other things I have become passionate about since I retired. One of those things is birds. I cannot pinpoint where this extreme interest came from but possibly it was naturally inherited since my dad also spent many a day tending his bird houses.
I am also sure that if you know me very well that you know that I do not ever do much halfheartedly. I am either fully on board and a bit obsessive or I am not in it at all. There is no mid point in my enthusiasm for ANYTHING.
So, I went on a bird fact finding mission. I bought many bird feeders and more than a half a dozen different kinds of food. I know that the birds rely on the same basics as humans...food, water, and shelter. Yes, I had all three. I did not invest in a bird bath because in case you do not know it, a bird much prefers to cool himself in a kitchen skillet. Please do some research if you do not believe me!
I realized one morning while on the phone with a friend that my passion must have paid off because not only were birds gathering, one actually flew right into my back door and landed on my dining room chandelier. Oh yes, and not just once but twice. Any one else might just shut their back door but it took me awhile to snap on the source of the problem.
This friendly bird had nested in the planter on my patio and hatched four little babies. A maternal instinct hit me immediately. Watching and protecting them became my mission. I even had to fend off the desire of my husband to dispose of the nest....NOT HAPPENING!

Then magically one morning as I stood watching, the momma bird led the babies out of the nest and into the world. They hopped about a bit and then flew. They had developed their wings. They were gone. Sadly, birds do not return to their nest. I am hopeful that they are strong and can survive on their own. The mom has come back to feed but no sign of the babies. And, yes, I do recognize her. She hung out in my kitchen, remember?
So, naturally, I wonder...does that momma bird struggle with the empty nest syndrome?
I am hopeful that someday another momma will find my yard inviting and build a nest.
In my thoughtful mood, I realized that I am very glad that my little baby chicks do choose to check in at our nest occasionally. I would be terribly sad if they didn't

No comments:

Post a Comment