Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Cinco de Mayo.......

May 5th, Cinco de Mayo, was our yearly Volunteer Appreciation luncheon hosted by the VNA for all those who take on the task of delivering Meals on Wheels.  I actually enjoy going to this.  We have a great group from church that attends.  It is a day to get out and visit and see all the good that is done by those in the Dallas area for those whose need is so great. 4500 meals a day delivered by volunteers.  That is an amazing number of people daily who go to their pick up sight to grab a dozen or more meals for the needy.  The people on these lists are the hidden hungry.  They are not the homeless.  
Today was actually my day to deliver.  I did my 10:00 pick up and I was on the road with my hot and cold bags of food.  I think it is good to do this alone, though most drivers have partners.  It is a little bit of a reflective time as I pick up my list...which is different every month, and then try to map out a workable route for my drive.  It is never consistent.  People drop on and off.  New addresses are added and the VNA never puts the route in an order that makes sense. My greatest challenge is not taking the food, it is navigating a course with my total lack of direction sense.  
As I drove today to some new spots I realized that there is no sacrifice in the delivery.  It does nothing but reinforce how very blessed I am as I see first hand the deplorable conditions that some are forced to live in.  A new address today took me to a house that was probably 400 square feet.  There were cats and flys everywhere.  As the door opened the cats and flys went in.  There are no words for what I saw and how I felt.  I can only think that all those who deliver must leave with a sense of gratitude for having the ability to do this for those that have so little.  I do not think I have dropped off any meals for anyone I thought was not deserving.
Some days it is good to take note of what we are truly blessed with....
and today was that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment