Thursday, February 9, 2017

Welcome Bishop Burns........

As of today Dallas has a new bishop.  That would not necessarily be exciting unless you were deeply rooted in your Catholic faith.
It does seem, however, that it is newsworthy enough to be live streamed by all of the local news channels and be top news on all the evening news broadcasts.
For me it mattered...enough that I watched the whole thing, and even snapped all of these pictures off the computer screen...a bit blurry I know.
 There are 1.3 million Catholics in the diocese of Dallas.  That is huge.  This man who was formerly in Juneau, Alaska is now shepherding one of the largest Diocese in the United States.
From what I can tell from the brief moments I have heard him speak....he is a rock star.
He is personable, deeply spiritual, and loves his mother....what else do I need to know???
 A brief stop as he was exciting the cathedral to give his mom a hug.
After all she raised him and deserves some of the credit for his outstanding success!
 This was especially memorable to me because Matt was married in this cathedral.  
I love this church for all of the memories it holds.
To see all of the clergy from across the diocese gathered for this event was incredible.  I wish I could have been there.  Bishop Burns is only the 8th bishop of our diocese.  That is amazing in itself.

It is doubtful I will ever get to meet him except in passing but even that will be an honor.
I look forward to him continuing the great work Bishop Kevin Farrell did before him.
It was the Catholic Church that the city of Dallas turned to when they needed to house the man and his family that had contracted Ebola.  They took him in.  That is what we do.
Thank you to Pope Francis for sending us the best.  
Welcome Bishop Edward Burns.

No comments:

Post a Comment