Friday, July 19, 2013

Justification Please.....

 Please tell me if there is really any reason for this.  This just did not happen today.  Ever since the 5th of July when red, white, and blue decorations were one day past their prime our local hobby store has been stocking their shelves with Christmas.  
This is a level way above irritating to me. I just bought a new bathing suit. I am enjoying our pool and the afternoon sun.  I know that during the years that I was gainfully employed as a teacher I did not even like to see school supplies out the day after the 4th of July.  I still had more than six weeks left of my summer break so everything in its own time PLEASE!  What is the hurry?  The first of August still gives everyone time to load up on sharpies and notebook paper.  Floaties and suntan lotion should fill the aisles not ball point pens and construction paper.
But Christmas ribbon????  Who really is going to miss out on making that wreath they saw on Pinterest if they cannot buy the supplies until October.....after Halloween please.  One season at a time.  
I remember a wise first grade teacher at the elementary school I worked at years ago.  One Tuesday that was especially stressful I stood in the office after a long day of dealing with cranking kids and parents and happened to say that I could not wait until it was Friday.  Bridget walked in about the time I uttered that statement (one we have all made quite regularly) and said "Do you realize that all you are doing is wishing your life away".  Well how do you respond to that???  
One day at a time.  One season at a time.  Why are we in such a hurry?  I am old enough now to know I am pretty happy in the moment.  I have no where I need to be so badly that I need to zoom through the present an on to the future.  
I will continue to enjoy the sunshine and listen to something nostalgic like the Beach Boys and leave Jingle Bells for after Thanksgiving where it belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment