Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Oh Elbie!!.........

Sometimes God just fills your heart.  
It has been one of those days...weeks!
Sometimes God makes a hole so big you think you will bleed to death, but then as time goes on it mends.  It never totally heals but the hemorrhage stops and it can begin to fill again...and so it has been with my life.
Is is just a coincidence or is this one of those moments that are meant to be?
Today I spent two hours answering 16 questions for my niece about my first year as a teacher. She is an education major and was doing a paper.  I really have nothing but good memories about my first year...about my whole career in the classroom.  I LOVED every minute of it.  Granted that first year was when I was 50 years old so my perspective is a bit different than the 22 year old right out of college teacher.
I gave her all that I could remember and told her there was never a moment that I doubted that the classroom was where I was meant to be.  Most important thing to remember...LOVE your students and let them know it.  There are days that the only positive acknowledgment a child gets is from a teacher.
And so tonight the phone rang.  It was Elbie...she needed a letter of recommendation.
Elbie was one of my first students.  It is funny how even after ten plus years I remember Elbie.  Some students leave your memory as soon as they walk out the door at the end of the year, but not her.
She had gotten my number from a coach at school.  Elbie wants to leave commercial real estate and teach school.  Four years after graduating from SMU she wants to head a new direction.  The change she wants to make is surely not for the paycheck!  It is for the rewards.  I know those rewards.
Elbie was a basketball player....a great one.  She received a scholarship to play ball at SMU...a full ride.  When the day came for her to sign her letter of intent she had the option of having a teacher there with her.  She picked me!  She was a senior and had many teachers during her years at North Garland....great teachers, teachers with much more experience and knowledge than me...but she asked me.  Somehow I was the one that had made a difference then and all these years later when she needs a letter she calls me and it was like talking to her back in my classroom.  
How do I explain how I feel?  I am not sure, but I know that today God just poured a little more happiness into my heart.  When you are at the end of the road (and hopefully I am not anywhere near there yet) those are the things you remember.  
....the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, and faithfulness.
Galatians 5: 22

No comments:

Post a Comment