Friday, March 20, 2015

Just Nostalgic!........

I hurried home on Wednesday night just in time to catch Diane Sawyer's 50th Anniversary tribute to the "Sound of Music".
Whomever does not just love this movie and has not watched it at least 50 times in 50 years is simply just not American! The best thing.....I have watched it, my children and I have watched it, and now I am sharing that same joy with my grandchildren.  Oh how they love it.  Brooklynn is sure that Gretel is the role she is born to play in a remake of the move!
Every bit of the "Sound of Music" is a moment to remember.  In watching Diane Sawyer's tribute we forget that 50 years ago our movie making skills were not what they are today.  Filming in the mountains was an arduous task.  Helicopters with men hanging out the windows were what was required to film the beautiful mountain scenes.  Crew and actors were transported up the hills by mule drawn carts.  Somehow knowing all of this just make the scenes even more spectacular.  
And the lessons that were so cleverly thrown in to leave us all looking at life in a more optimistic way cannot be missed each time I sit through it again.
Yes, when God closes a door somewhere, He does open a window if we are just looking for it.
My FAVORITE song of the whole movie...Edelweiss.  
Something about the voice of Christopher Plummer as he opens up to song for the first time since the death of his wife brings me to tears over and over again.  
And Maria, can you even imagine Doris Day filling this role.  Yes, I am a Doris fan (in the proper place) but ONLY Julie andrews could give to this move the moments that have captured us for a half a century.
I was 16 when I first saw this movie.  I was drawn in every bit as much then as I am now.  I could sing every song on the sound track.  While my friends were belting out Beach Boy tunes, I was secretly singing "Climb Every Mountain" in the confines of my room....and I sounded nothing like Julie Andrews.
Now the sound track is on my iPhone...because where else do we store all our treasured songs and pictures....and in my car I can sing Do Re Mi as well as Julie Andrews in my own mind.
Happy 50th
Sound of Music!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment