Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Ash Wednesday 2016......

It is Ash Wednesday today and I love Lent.  What an odd thing, I am sure, but I really do.  I look forward to reaching the Lenten Season as soon as we begin the New Year.  
I NEVER make New Year's resolutions anymore because I know I won't keep them but I can do 40 days of anything....so I am encouraged.
Lent is the one season that cannot be commercialized.  After all the glitter and glitz and craziness of the Christmas Season, Lent calls us to slow down and be reflective.  
I have found that giving something up is not as satisfying anymore.  I can do without a diet coke, and although it would make me healthier, giving up sugar would not really make me a better person internally.
I choose to not give up but to add to...to add to the things I know will make me a better person, a more caring friend and neighbor.  The world has become so harsh and cold.  As our pastor said last week, how many of you all walk into church and take time to greet each person you pass?...or are you on a mission to get to your seat before someone sits in your space.....that could be me. 
This year I am going to focus more on my interior and not my exterior.
I am going to choose to find Christ in everyone, even the lady that brings her snack container to church and takes up a whole space for it while another person has to stand.  
I have a pile of books that I am going to read that I have been saving just for Lent.
I am going to come out better and that is the goal of Lent.
Our church has been renovated....all new pews and now a new pastor.  I believe he is that man that is meant to be there. I have met him and his presence excites me.  We are a fractured parish that needs mending and I know with a community as close as ours is and new spiritual direction it will happen....and in God's perfect timing, He chose Lent to put all the pieces together.
Easter Sunday will find us all healed, personally and as a parish.
It is God's plan and I am going to be part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment