Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The Massieons....



My cousin Bobby passed away last week.  I guess that would be sad under any circumstances but it is most sad because for years I have felt like I have no family...no roots.
My mom was one of four children.  My dad had one brother.  I lost contact with all of my dads relatives before I ever realized I had any.  My uncle was a Navy lifer.  He moved to Washington state before I was born and I do not really remember even knowing him at all.  
My mom's family remained close even though they were spread out from one side of the US to the other.  We made trips to Illinois at Christmas and I have great memories of the time spent with the Massieon family and cousins.
Then my parents died, my brother disappeared and I lost contact with everyone.
I had my kids and Jimmy's family, but somewhere that I kept locked up I missed MY family.  
I am pretty good at burying things and I guess I just buried this need I had.
I knew when I heard Bobby had passed away I needed to be there.  We had kept in touch by phone but I had not seen him for about 40 years. I was not really sure many people there would even know who I was.  I was wrong.  We are family.
 I found those roots again..a family.  
It was a sad yet joyous time.  My cousin was the best.  My family is the best.  What I found was simple...just simple.  I have extended family that does not pretend to be anything but the simple and loving people they are and it brought me nothing but happiness.
 I love my cousins.
 I love their children.
I love that for a few days I had my family.  
I do not know when we will be together again.  Distance is a huge problem but I am glad I found time to reconnect.  I am proud of where I came from.  I love that they are part of what I think matters in life...simplicity.  I thought maybe my go to words in 2017 would be joy and humility but I guess if you find simplicity, joy and humility will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment