Saturday, May 29, 2010

Leaving....

This is it, folks. I am leaving. I am packing and walking out of this classroom for good. I made the decision in November to retire....BUT...then they ask me to stay part time if there was a position open.
So for 6 months my future employment has been hanging by a thread. Knowing that I was firm in my decision I made the most of what I knew was maybe my last semester....and I had the best kids I had ever taught in my room this year. They were incredible. I enjoyed each and every day and walked out in the afternoon with a smile because it was a GREAT day.
The rules come with me. If I move to a different area my rules go too. I think that is part of my frustration at work somedays. It is the teachers who are afraid to enforce the rules for fear the kids won't like them. I found it is just the opposite. The kids respect authority...if you remain consistent.
So things are packed and this is my last four days in this room. My heart is heavy because I loved my time in here. Two new teachers will do my job. They will be good. Things will move on...maybe in a different direction but they will move on.
As for me...I will move on too. I am hoping by the end of the week there will be a final resolution to this roller coaster. It has been emotional and difficult but I know it is right. So next Friday I either walk out for good or I move to a new room and regardless of which way I go I intend to make the most of the rest of my life!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment