Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Student Side....

I took a sewing class this summer. In fact I took several classes in an attempt to try and learn more about my sewing machine. I love to sew...it is therapy. I, however, have an expensive machine and I am not using half of the capabilites of the product. So, off I went to sit in class and LEARN!This is what were were making...an applique embroidery design. Not too difficult. Six of us in the class and a seasoned sewing teacher. Two hours to master this design. Not too hard.
WRONG!! I struggled for the whole two hours! Half of us did. So, I had to wonder why.
I decided it was her teaching method. She knew her material and assumed if we were there that we understood our machines and what she was talking about. I struggled...for two hours. I did not get it. I had to have help with every step and she was impatient. I quit asking questions. I think I can figure it out...at home..on my own time...in the peace and quiet of my sewing room.
That is not how it should be. It was a great lesson for me. Being a student is the other side of the coin. I teach. I think I teach well...but it was time to reflect. I have students who don't get it. The students with language problems, the students with choas in their lives who cannot focus, the students who did not have breakfast and are thinking about possibly missing lunch. I think we always need to grow as teachers. It is like a doctor who never bothers to update his techniques. Things change. Maybe being a student was helpful. I think I will be a little more patient this year. Being a student is stressful!

No comments:

Post a Comment