Friday, November 5, 2010

AVID Rocks...

Oh, how I love these kids! Surprised? This has been awhile coming. I have always been VERY attached to my job and my students but this year has been different. It has been a huge adjustment and I have struggled. I have given up measuring cups and taken on AVID binders and the whole process has caused me many sleepless nights.
The ultimate goal of this program is to get these kids into college. I have never been on that exact page before. My goal before was to create a human being that could function well in a kitchen and understand a little about NUTRITION...outside of a fast food restaurant. This is uncharted territory for me. Motivation has always been easy..until now. Ninth graders just do not get it..."yes, I am failing her class Mrs. Shubzda...she does not accept late work". You are right, she doesn't! They have to grow up and for 11 weeks I have wondered what I was thinking when I took this on.
Today I got it!!! Today they got it. Today it clicked. Today we ALL saw the light! Why today? I do not know...but today it happened and the kids were all excited to post their successes on the board and we laughed because it is finally happening. We are bonding. We are family and today I LOVE these kids. I walked out of the building with a smile. No nightmares this weekend! It was a great day. I am not naive enough to think the battle is over but we have made it over that first hurdle and for now that is enough.
Thanks for the thought my precious students...but today I think you ROCK!



No comments:

Post a Comment