Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sunshine, Baseball, and APPLE PIE.....

Mission Impossible..

but now

Mission Complete!!!

This is a story many years in the making and I am glad to report success!!! It was a "deal" I made with two of my favorite co-workers ....the North Garland baseball coaches, John and Christian. It is no secret that baseball in Raiderland as been a struggle. While soccer is the king at North, baseball is somewhat the stepchild. The kids try out in tennis shoes and jeans and most have never seen a baseball glove. So, when these two young men took over the program I promised that when they won a district game I would bake them the traditional apple pie (they were on their own for the hot dogs!) I am happy to report that after a ten year draught...they did it!!! A 2 to 1 win over the mighty South Garland. I was not at the game but I did get a play by play when the team returned to school. When the final out was made, the gloves went in the air and the whole team shouted APPLE PIE!!! No doubt the South Garland Colonels found this a strange response to the huge win. Lots of strange looks from the opposing bench. Let's just give the cross town team another reason to question the sanity of the Mighty Raiders! We get the win and the PIE! So, the apples were peeled and sliced... Piled in a pie plate (in a homemade crust, thanks to the skills I learned from Sharon)..... Baked to a golden brown, and delivered to these smiling young coaches! Thanks guys for completing the challenge before I packed up my teacher certificate. It is another great memory in what has been a terrific career. Go Raiders...and lets hope we do not go another 10 years before a win!

No comments:

Post a Comment