Saturday, April 30, 2011

Teacups and Tiaras.....

Yes, I did set my alarm for 4:00 A.M. and get up with many other women to watch the wedding of William and Kate. It did not disappoint! Seeing it in real time was so much better than setting my DVR. I wanted to be there with the rest of the world when Kate first emerged in that beautiful gown. I got to hear the reaction of the crowd when the newlyweds kissed on the balcony. It was history and I was there as it happened.
You have to know that the royals and I go back a long way. We have connections. I did get up at one in the morning July 29, 1981 when Charles wed Diana. The year Diana gave birth to William, I gave birth to Sara. In 1984 when Harry was born, I had Drew. I could relate to the growth of her kids. Mine were at the same stages at the same time. When Diana died so tragically, I watched the whole service with my good friend and we cried for those young men who had lost their mother.
So, when William married Kate, I had to attend...via the television from thousand of miles away. In honor of the event I brewed my morning tea and got out my grandmother's hand painted teacups. They are almost 100 years old. It is a delicate set of paper thin china with gold trim she so painstakingly did herself for her own wedding. They are a treasure that has remained in a cabinet waiting for the right occasion, and that was today. In lieu of a hat, which I did not have on hand, I put on a purple tiara (which was all that was available) and got lost in the moment.
There is reality staring us in the face every hour of everyday but just for awhile it is okay to believe in a fairy tale and happy endings.

No comments:

Post a Comment