Friday, May 6, 2011

A Tale of Two Moms....

It is almost Mother's Day and as I browse all of the postings on Facebook, I see friends all posting pictures of their mom's in honor of this special day. I have lost my mom...I have lost both of my moms. One was given to me at birth and the other was a gift when I married my husband. I have wonderful memories of them both, though they were both a contrast in personalities.


My mom was:
cornish hens and wild rice
a cocktail at the dinner hour
fine china and crystal at every holiday meal
yard work and plant loving
a person who loved to entertain
a lover of needlework in her spare time
a grandmother who gave me money so I could buy the kids gifts
a loving mom
a great grandmother

My mother-in-law was:
cornbread and beans
sweet tea in the evening
paper plates and lots of family on the holidays
a mom who loved watching wrestling in her spare time (and there was not much of that with five kids)
a person who loved to be with her kids and was not much on entertaining
a perfect grandmother
someone who loved to buy the kids gifts herself and her favorite was red and white outfits for Valentines Day
the best mother in law on the planet

I miss them both today. They both hold a special place in my heart for entirely different reasons. I was blessed. I wish my kids had more time with them They were young when they both died. I am sad they never knew they joy of a great grandchild. I am sad there were no grandparents at my children's weddings. But, I was lucky. I had the best of both worlds when it came to "MOMS".

This weekend I hope they are spending time with the child who allowed me to be called mom for the first time..my oldest son. I miss you Mom, Grandma Shubzda, and Matt. Have a wonderful weekend.
















No comments:

Post a Comment