Thursday, May 19, 2011

Another Year.....

Another year has passed and another generous scholarship has been awarded in Matt's name. This is a tough time of the year for me. It all starts about a month before the awards ceremony with reading through many student applications that are more than deserving of the scholarship that means so much to me.
When the list is finalized, we interview six very worthy students. It is always a bittersweet moment...knowing that one of these kids will receive a sizable amount of money. If Matt was still here there would be no scholarship...but he is not, so this is a tribute to his memory. A parent could not be any prouder that I am to have him remembered in such a wonderful way. Matt was constantly seeking knowledge. Mediocre was not in his vocabulary...he wanted to excel and he did. He would be proud to be remembered in this way.
A close friend...a very close friend presented the award today. I have such a hard time with this. Standing on the stage in that auditorium where Matt stood so many times is so emotional. I try but it never goes well.
I am thankful. I am blessed. I am constantly reminded we should all give back and Matt does...still. As I have quoted many times "It is not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go".
Thank you Matt, for leaving so much behind.














No comments:

Post a Comment