Monday, May 30, 2011

Carry The Load.....

Today is Memorial Day.
For all Americans it is thoughts of the beginning of the summer, outings with family, gatherings around the pool or at the lake. It is cookouts, hot dogs, and a cold beer. Family matters to all of us.
But...
Sometimes we forget what today is all about. I know all to well. Our family paid the ultimate price for what we all take for granted...our freedom to celebrate as we please today. I am not mad, I am not bitter...I am PROUD. I have sons that served. I have a son that died in the plane that he so proudly flew. He knew the danger and the risks. He choose that path anyway and with our full support and encouragement. I miss him terribly, and all the things that could have been if he was still here...but he is not and life goes on.
Yesterday a group of close friends...Navy SEALS and former football teammates took off on a 20 hour and 11 minute walk. It was "CARRY THE LOAD", dedicated to all those who have given their lives.
Stephen Holley carried Matt and two other close friends in a 20 pound back pack the entire length of the course. How do you thank someone for that? He remembers and he cares...because he served and knows about the loss of those whom he served with. I was not there, but my youngest son was and it touched him deeply. Next year we will be there. We may not make the entire journey but we will share the load that others carried for us this weekend. It is an honor and a privilege and I want to be a part of being with those who know the heartache of loss.
Thank you, Matt, for being such a special son and thanks to Clint and Stephen for honoring him today in such a special way.

No comments:

Post a Comment