Saturday, July 9, 2011

No Fear!.....

We have passed July 4th. That has always kind of been the mid point of the summer to me. On the down hill run toward school, fall, and football. I never dreaded it. I am the weird soul that loved seeing all of the new school supplies displayed at Walmart. When I was little I loved shopping for new pencils, and a backpack. It was a big outing for me and mom. We picked out a new dress for the first day of school and I set my new supplies out and looked at them for a month ahead of time.
Then I had my own children and the shopping experience was still the same...even with four kids. I loved that new box of CRAYOLAS with 64 colors more than they did. I wanted to be the first one to bust them out and color with them on a new coloring book page. That is just the ultimate fun!!
A lunchbox was a real ordeal. It took more time than the backpack. I never quite understood why adults dreaded this shopping trip. I LOVED IT! I loved watching my kids carefully pack things up to start a new school year, with fresh markers and lots of enthusiasm.
Then suddenly I was buying my own back to school supplies....for my classroom. I was a teacher. I wanted college ruled paper,#2 pencils, colored folders, and new BIC pens. They were not just for me. They were for the students who I knew would not come with anything new and fresh. I wanted them to fill in paperwork with a new black, medium point pen. It always made me feel good.
The supplies are out...everywhere! I am not buying them. I am retired. It is a sense of relief really. I realize now that I have been home for 5 weeks that I want to be here. I LOVE to be here. It was time. I do not "fear" seeing all of the yellow "Back To School" displays. It does not mean my summer is almost over. I will have summer for the rest of my life. WOW! That feels good. I still love all of the new things they put out so maybe I will still buy new crayons!

No comments:

Post a Comment