Friday, June 22, 2012

Time To Harvest....

 We have downsized.  We were once proud keepers of a garden that was about the size of our current backyard...that in itself was a problem.  I know that there is nothing that quite compares to walking out your back door and selecting fresh produce for your evening meal.  I, however, am not much of a veggie fan.  I have about three things that I put on my plate that I find acceptable, so dealing with bushels of okra and abundant squash really did nothing for me.
 Our current garden is producing 5 pound coffee cans full of tomatoes and cantelope.  We already harvested all of the onions and I have to admit it was nice not to have to run to the store after deciding what was for dinner just to grab a single onion.
 Today I took my pal along to help me pick tomatoes.  She had it down to a science in just moments.  A few quick instructions on what color to look for and she had her bucket full. 
Oh, if I had olny paid attention when Granny Grounds told me how to can all of this excess stuff.  Or actually maybe I knew I would never want to know and that is why I didn't listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment