Wednesday, June 27, 2012

You Are My Sunshine....


It was Bunko Tuesday last night.  Although I always want to stay home in my P.J.'s and not tackle the heat in the summer I make myself go and I am NEVER sorry.  We have mostly given up playing Bunko and taken to enjoying a meal together...more time for conversation and less taxing on our older minds.  As I sat there last night I realized how much our visits have changed.  We have gone through stages together..parenthood, college, weddings, the aches and pains of aging bodies, weight issues, and now the total joy of grandchildren.  It is our main focus.  We compare babies, and our complete and total attachment to the children our children have had...our grandkids.  
Why on earth is this so much better than parenting?  Food for thought for my always wondering mind.
I have decided that we are all lovestruck.  It is a feeling I do not think any of us were prepared for.  We LOVED our children.  We are all friends because of the bonds formed as we were raising our children. We have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly in each other and now all we do is share joy.
I believe that our grandchildren are unjudgmental when they spend time with us.  We are not in charge.  That frees us completely to enjoy.  We are removed from the responsibility of decision making.  There are no agendas or tensions.  We can be as silly as we want to be and still be recipients of a near perfect love.
My friends and I share over and over again funny sayings and stories and find endless pleasure in laughing together.  We marvel at the creativity and genius these children display at such a young age and wonder where they will be as a teenagers when operating an IPad is such a simple task at two.  They are an open window to the future.
It is a love more perfect that we ever expected.
So we made a pledge to journal the things that make us laugh.  Maybe no one else will by amazed by the fact that a 2 1/2 year old has to take a pretend cell phone to bed with her when she takes a nap..."just in case I get any calls Gramma" but I am and I want to remember forever why it is I am so in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment