Monday, October 15, 2012

The Pretty Side Of An Ugly Week......

I was out of commission for a week...not by choice I assure you.  I was the victim of a medical procedure gone terribly wrong.  A simple endoscopy turned into an ambulance ride, emergency surgery, three days in ICU, and too many continuing days on the surgical recovery floor.  I did not really have time to process this while it was happening.  Fortunately I was sufficiently drugged with medicines that made me experience some pretty colorful dreams while under the influence.  Now that I have come back to the much appreciated comforts of home, I can look back on a week that I never want to repeat.  Last Monday I left the house for a short test and was looking forward to coming home to a pot of homemade potato soup and a diet coke.  I never made it home.  A puncture in my esophagus left me in extremely critical condition.  I did not realize until after the fact how serious the situation was.  I was terribly unlucky....but lucky at the same time.  The medical team that caused this catastrophe was followed by another competent medical team that successfully repaired some extensive damage.  I am well...recovering well.  It could have had another not so pretty out come.  Thank you to some amazing surgeons, patient nurses, loving family and friends and a God that has a few more days planned for me to hang out down here on earth.  I did not know that a plateful of canned fruits and some cheerful flowers could be such picker upper in an otherwise not so pretty week.  It is really about the simple things!

No comments:

Post a Comment