Monday, November 26, 2012

Recap...Thanksgiving 2012....

As usual, we gathered...cousins, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, in-laws, and friends.  It is always fun.  We plan, bake, clean, and organize and in a minute chaos reigns...but it is great.
I love Thanksgiving.  It is more relaxed than the uncontrolled mania we call Christmas (though I pretty much love it too).  It is too much food, beer, wine, and football...which lead to the need for expandable front jeans (think maternity wear) after dinner and dessert.
So now that the holiday is over and I have consumed the remainder of all of the pies, each and every salad leftover, turkey, dressing, and broccoli rice casserole, I thought I might recap on paper how our meal has evolved over the years.
To keep this semi condensed just let me say that my mom would roll over more than once in her grave if a table minus good china and burning candles were not part of the day.  We started out that way.  There was only us and a small family so I did as I was taught and got out the linen tablecloth and the china and served a proper meal.  Forty two years later let me say....it is paper plates.  That is like saying you are an alcoholic in front of the world.  I don't necessarily want it to be that way but with 26 people I would have to combine several sets of dishes to to cover the crowd.  Finding silverware is tough enough.  So I am guilty...but they were nice paper plates!



And then there is the food.  When you combine families the menu you grew up with is out the window.  Cornbread dressing vs. white bread dressing with raisins (the truth).  Mashed potatoes vs. sweet potatoes, green been casserole, broccoli-rice, corn casserole, green salad, marshmallow salad, jello salad, turkey, ham, or brisket?  Well, just bring it all on because we are a people pleasing family! So as the family grows the menu grows and the leftovers grow and the waistline grows...and I do not believe there is an end in sight.

It was a perfect day.  It was laughs, memories made, pictures taken, cousins bonding, and new babies hugged.  As I finally dispose of the end of the leftovers and pick up the remaining cups found in hidden corners, I know that given a chance to change any of it I wouldn't.  Paper plates and eating on the floor did not dampen anyone's spirits...it is what our family has become.

No comments:

Post a Comment