Thursday, November 29, 2012

That's All Folk's....

There is simply no turning back now.  It is a done deal...holster hung up, uniforms turned in, and goodbyes said.  Jimmy is officially retired.  It was a great celebration of a job well done with people that have been his family for many, many years.
Actually I think that maybe for the last 39 years I have mistakenly addressed my husband by the wrong name.  No one really knew who I was talking about when I said Jimmy ten days ago at his retirement send off.  He is J.J. to all he works with and I feel a bit odd calling him by anything else now.  It was an Oprah aha moment.  Maybe that is why he has ignored me for years.  He did not know I was talking to him!  I won't let that slide any longer.  It is  J.J. from now on and I know he will answer when I call.
It was a great evening.  I guess everyone should retire at least once in their life so they can sit back and listen to a room full of people people say great things about them.  It has to be an ego builder.  I have full intentions of letting him hold on to all those wonderful thoughts until after the holidays and then I will remind him that he is really the same person that has always lived here and all those ego boosting thoughts are to remain in his memory book but not in his enlarged head any longer!
We are now in the practicing togetherness mode.  We had lunch out the other day...with all the businessmen who had computers and notepads on the table.  There we sat with merely our menu and an attempt at conversation that did not include our day at work and the grandkids.  It is a work in progress!  I am looking forward to learning how this will all play out.  This is the the best time of our lives I have heard!
"A retired husband is often a wife's full-time job."
Ella Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment