Tuesday, May 28, 2013

2013 In The Books......

It is complete.  Another Memorial Day walk is in the books and it was awesome.
The crowd was enormous and the purpose was clear...honor those who have given so much to Carry the Load for us.  
There was no question that everyone understood the mission and it was beyond what I could even believe once again when we saw how many had gathered to support our family and the whole Carry the Load event.
 It is Memorial Day done right.


 It was hot...and it was a miserable type of humid and many participants were dressed in full camo gear carrying as much as 50 pounds of weight on their backs.  Drew once again walked 42 miles with 20 pounds of weight on his shoulders, with his bride to be at his side.

 The effort of some who could barely make it up a hill was something that cannot be explained in words.

 The camp sight was packed...for the most diligent did not go home....they walked the whole night, stopping only to eat a small meal and then carry on.
 The sun rose and other walkers joined Drew's team.  

 Mission complete, they crossed the finish line together. 
 Mandy and Tim walked many, many miles with Brooklynn in tow for the first lap...and proudly crossed the finish line with the whole family.
 Joining us both days was Matt's wife Kim and her new family.  To say that this made the whole event complete would be an understatement.  To know that her family is so respectful and supportive of the fact that she did lose her husband in such a tragic way after only three months of marriage and to be so openly willing to support her in this walk is a tribute the wonderful people they are. 
 I am so proud....so very, very proud.  I am proud of Drew, Heather, Mandy and Tim for their total commitment.  I am grateful for our generous friends who contributed, walked, and supported us once again.  
 I am hoping that Drew's mangled feet will heal in time for his walk down the aisle in two weeks!
 I know that God continues to fill the empty space that was left in my heart when Matt died with so many good things and so much joy.  I know that my blessings are many and there is just not enough room to list all the things I am grateful for today on here.  My prayers of Thanksgiving are lengthy.
 Another Memorial Day is in the books...and I am so proud that my family has chosen a way to celebrate that lets everyone know we do remember.
We will be back in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment