Friday, May 24, 2013

48 Hours Away.....

It is Memorial Day weekend. 
It is the official beginning of summer! 
 It is parties in the backyard or at the lake....it is barbecue and beer!!!
It is swimming pools and sunshine and laughs with the family!
It is all great...but for us we will stand together as a family and celebrate the weekend in a way that makes me prouder of my children and my husband than anything we have ever done together.  We have once again committed to "Carry The Load".
Three years ago two very close friends created a way to put the real meaning back in Memorial Day.  They instituted a 20 hour and 13 minute walk to honor all military, police and firemen that have lost their lives protecting ours. 
There are no words to describe the emotion of seeing the thousands gathered to remember family members, friends, and acquaintances who have paid the ultimate price for our freedom.   
It is not difficult...it is an honor. 
I will not make the whole walk but like last year I will be there.  I will support all who have taken on this task.
I will cry during the national anthem, I will hug many friends who gather for this event, I will remember how proud I was, and am that two of my boys did dedicate themselves to years in the US Navy.  I will remember that Matt's life did serve a purpose in so many, many ways.  I will be especially proud of my youngest son who was the first in the family to sign up to "Carry the Load" and enlist everyone he could to be a part of this event.  I will stand and remember all of our friends and family who have supported us emotionally and financially as we take on this walk once again.  And when we all cross the finish line with American flags in hand at 12:13 pm on Memorial Day my heart will be full of pride in a way that I will never be totally able to explain.  I thank God for this day every year.  What a gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment