Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Facebook Fail.......

On March 5 I joined countless other Christians who made the commitment to rid themselves of Facebook for Lent.  I added the stipulation that I could have 5 quick minutes to view the daily posts each night.  Bless me Father for I have FAILED!  Like miserably.
Facebook is TOXIC!  
Let us just say that not a piece of candy or diet coke has touched my lips since Ash Wednesday.  I know for sure that the young man in the McDonalds drive through is concerned about my whereabouts.  I used to make a daily trip and felt no guilt in doing so.  It is the worst of my vices so I allow myself that bad habit....but not for Lent.
Facebook is a disease and I am afraid for me there is no cure.  Here is the deal breaker.  The phone does not work for passing along news anymore.  I think email has even fallen behind.  If people want to get things out there and spread the word, they head straight to Facebook.
Sadly it is only through Facebook that I have learned of the accident my friends husband had, the death of a Naval Midshipman on the football field, the sudden loss of the child one of my former students was pregnant with, and countless other stories I would have otherwise been unaware of .
What have we done to ourselves?
We have turned our connection with friends into small bubbles of info posted for all of the world to see....and then comment on.
There are good points in social media.  We are able to connect with people we have long lost touch with.  Yes, it is an avenue for quickly sharing news or pictures...especially those of grandchildren.
But, for me it sometimes becomes a venue for extreme frustration when I see what some people think is appropriate content for Facebook.  I have to refrain from posting comments such as "why don't you put down your phone and play with your children!  Maybe then you would not have to tell the world all day long how bad they are".  I know some of these mom's are well educated.  Where is the filter on their mouth, or on their fingers as they type this unneeded info????
So, yes I failed.  I am sucked in and disgusted with myself but we have created a monster and I am sadly part of the media stream that is ongoing.
Personally I think it would be nice to do as my mom did and go next door for a cup of coffee with a neighbor each morning and visit face to face.  Somehow progress is not always really progress at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment