Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Field Trip!......

What do you do when it is July 29th and the temperature is 83 degrees outside?
You run a quick errand and then make an uplanned field trip to the City Of Sachse Historical Park.  I am not sure why we headed that way.  I had taken Brooklynn once simply to take pictures.  Today there was no agenda.  It just seemed like a fun thing to do.

As it turned out the curator of the museum (which happens to be in the building that housed city hall and the library when we moved here) came out to tell me that there were special guests visiting....some of the original Sachse family.  

Yes, meeting them would have been interesting but when you have two girls with a serious case of the sillys in tow it is best to stay outside.  So we explored the original firetruck owned by the city, crawled all over the old and rusted farm equipment and then went for a little lesson on the contents of the time capsule buried by the flag.
You see I know what a portion of the contents are.  I was there when then capsule was buried.  I watched them place of brochure from the newly built elementary school with the other memorabilia and on the cover of that brochure was a picture of Tim and our next door neighbor Storey, along with the schools namesake Earl Luna.  Mr. Luna was a prominent attorney who donated the land that was totally undeveloped when we moved here in 1979.  Tim was in first grade when they moved into the school that was less than a mile from our home.
I am not sure where I will be on March 2, 2036 and I am not sure why they chose that date to unearth the contents of the capsule.  I do know that by that date those in attendance that remember what life was like here in Sachse 50 years prior will be few and far between.  
I know that we never regretted moving our family out to what in 1979 was nothing but semi wilderness.  It was an awesome community of about 3300 people where our kids could ride their big wheels down the street without parental supervision.  I know that if your kids left at 9 in the morning and you did not see them until 4 in the afternoon you did not worry.  You knew that wherever they were, they were safe and someone had fed them lunch. I know that I felt so at home here that when we finally sold our home after 30 some years, we simply moved right to the other corner.  And I know that with the whole metroplex available for my children to reside in, they both chose to have Sachse addresses.  
I hope that in March of 2036 someone in my family will stand at the opening of the capsule and tell everyone that is there how lucky they were to call Sachse their home.

No comments:

Post a Comment