Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Fat Tuesday and Other Things......

 Yes, it is Fat Tuesday and for some reason it snuck up on me this year.  Maybe since I still have a Christmas candy jar setting out on the counter I am not thinking spring and Easter at this moment!
But, it is here... Fat Tuesday....the last big hurrah before Ash Wednesday and Lent begins.  Having spent a year of my life in New Orleans, I do distinctly remember the REAL celebration of this day.  I was that person screaming for more plastic beads as all of the drunks on the street knocked me off the curb.  All in the spirit of the day I am sure.  
I have really given thought to Lent this year and read profusely as how to best address the next 47 days before Easter.  Diet Cokes are always my go to sacrifice but this year I have better ideas.  If the goal of making changes in your life during Lent is to come out a better person on Easter Sunday then giving up my every other day Diet Coke which I only drink half of anyway is not going to accomplish much.  So my agenda is lengthy but doable and it makes me smile to think of what is ahead.
 I did decide to attack an In-n-Out burger on this merry day just because!  It was really a good idea because in all honesty if all of the world had the type of attitude of this stores employees it would be a much happier planet.  The sheer cheerfulness of the girl that handed me my burger just made my day.  It made me want to go out and be nice to everyone else...which is a great resolution for Lent.
 What did not make me smile...gas up to $1.82 a gallon.  Last week I paid $1.65 so that is a 17 cent hike.  I know I should still rejoice in the price of gas but filling my tank for $25 has been a cause for joy for months now!  I hope this is the last price hike for awhile!
Last but not least, as a way of celebrating this day, I also made a trip to one of my favorite stores.....ROSS!  No pride here.  I can dig through the racks with the best of them and on Tuesday it is even more exciting because seniors get an additional 10% off.  I will drag out my ID with pride if it means a discount!  My exceptional find.....these bar stools for $36 each!  Did I need them, maybe not. But, my other ones were about 20 years old and had been restained and repainted several times.  I thought I owed it to myself to update so I did and wow do I love them!
What a great day it has been.  Sunshine, bargains, happy people and the anticipation of the next 47 days of personal improvement.  
Happy Fat Tuesday to me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment