Wednesday, June 2, 2010

From Aprons to AVID......

Yes, it is confirmed. I am leaving my aprons and and measuring equipment behind for good. I am giving my finals this week, packing my personal belongings and moving on. It has been a transition in the works for weeks, maybe longer and the decision has finally been made... I am AVID bound! Wow, I am just so excited. It was a gift that fell into my lap when I was not really even looking for it. So, with many prayers, much research, proposals written and submitted....it was accepted. I am moving on.
So what is AVID? It is a nationwide program "Achievement Via Individual Determination". North Garland has just recently introduced this to their campus and it has been hugely successful. I am so proud to be a part of this. AVID identifies students with great potential but no motivation and pushes them to succeed. So many kids are college material but have no direction at home to go beyond graduating and going into some trade or hourly wage job. Not everyone is college material but for the ones that are this gives them a channel to reach their full potential. I have spent the last few weeks watching how all of this works in the classroom and the enthusiasm these kids show when they know they can do this is awesome!
It will be a part time position...two days one week, three days the next (part time pay too, of course) but this means that I do not have to think of retirement quite so quickly!!!! Just do not think I am 100% there yet.
So the aprons are packed and the new textbooks in the bag for summer study. It is a huge new challenge but one I am really looking forward to. I mean I started this career at 52 so what not tackle something new at 62??? Who knows what is on the horizon next!



1 comment: