Saturday, July 24, 2010

Girls Night Out.....

Sara and I had a rare opportunity to get out Friday night and doing something a little out of the ordinary. Thanks to some great friends who were otherwise disposed, we took advantage of their tickets and headed to the Granville Arts Theater in Garland for a night of the musical 42nd Street!!!!!
When I was in New York last summer I had a chance to see Wicked on Broadway...a once in a lifetime experience!!! I enjoyed it so much that I came home and took Sara to see Mama Mia at the Dallas Summer Musicals...not so good. Actually I just decided that the theater experience must only work in New York. So, I was a bit leery of what to expect from a musical in the smaller community of Garland, Texas. It was AWESOME! The costumes and sets were wonderful. The acting was terrific and the music made us want to sing along...we sort of did!!!
It was a great night and since it was just Sara and I, I did not have to worry about Jimmy fidgeting in his seat wondering when it was time to go home!
We did, however, have a discussion on the way home about the lack of musical talent of any kind in our family. We cannot sing a note or dance a step. My dad could sing..he had a great voice. I did not inherit it. Oh, how I wish I did. What a great way to express yourself. I am reluctant to even sing along to the radio when I am by myself and dance???...not a bit of rhythm to be found.
So, when interviewed by the school newspaper last spring and asked what I would do if I did not teach school, the answer was easy. I would reincarnate myself with talent...musical talent. Look out world after I die. I just might come back as the female version of Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire....pure bliss!!!!
P.S. Thanks Cummins!!!!


1 comment:

  1. but Matt had such great rhythm! he could dance like nobody's business; at least HE thought so! ;-) LOL

    ReplyDelete