Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Because It Was Time.....

This is for my daughter-in-law..who stayed with us one night and was kind enough to make us a delicious meal. You see, I HATE to cook. I would much rather spend time in the yard, writing something on my blog, sewing, reading, shopping...anything but cooking. Strange that my career has been teaching students how to prepare meals...and I loved it. I am just am not a fan of being stuck over my own kitchen stove.
To condense this rambling post, this all came about because Mandy kindly noted that maybe I did not need anymore casserole dishes. I have about two dozen in every size imaginable, all piled randomly in a cabinet. Ummm, after taking inventory I think she was right. I have been married forty years and have never really purged anything. I am a kitchen equipment hoarder. So, this week I cleaned and ridded myself of everything broken, chipped and useless. Wow that feels good. I actually found wedding gifts in there that were still in their original box. There was a wonderful harvest green chip and dip bowl. Hello 1970. I think it is back in style!!!
I found 19 pie plates...yes, you read that right....19. Why would anyone have that many pie plates? Once I baked four pies for Thanksgiving. That means I still had 15 I could loan someone if necessary.
Other useless stuff...4 springform pans, 3 aluminum jello mold pans that belonged to my mom. They held her famous "shrimp mold". I don't make that but I have the pans in case I ever decide to! Yes, it was time. My cabinets are clean. What was it that I heard the other day from a friend....something like "something new comes in, something old goes out"?? Well with all that just went out, I think I will go shopping. Time for something new!




1 comment:

  1. hooray! i can get something out of the cabinet without fear of knocking down the "leaning tower of casserole dishes". thank you dear mother-in-law...please make sure to at least keep two for dressing at christmas! :) oh, i'm calling dibs on the spring form!

    ReplyDelete