Saturday, October 23, 2010

What A Season!.......

WOW!!!!!
What else can you say?

I am still reeling from the excitement of the 2010 Ranger season and I only got involved two weeks ago. I am not much of a baseball fan. My kids played and I attended all of the games..for the social aspect of the sport. I loved the friends I sat with, the weather, and the peanuts, that is about it.

I am a football lover but this season has not pulled me in. The Cowboys stink and both the Texas Tech and North Garland Raiders are struggling just to finish a game. Just lost my enthusiasm. It is sad but watching unmotivated athletes like the Cowboys who are paid HUGE salaries sit on the bench with their heads hung in embarrassment just makes me really angry. Where is the determination and drive? Where is the want to? Where is the leadership?

It is...in the Ballpark in Arlington!!! It is alive and well and being demonstrated by the ALC Champion and World Series bound TEXAS RANGERS!

"Wow" is about all I can say. Facebook was abuzz with excitement during game six...Ranger fans were experiencing an ultimate sports high. I did not miss a play. I am not a sitter but I did not move for three plus hours. We beat the Yankees..a decided victory by a team with a heart that knew they could do it and credited each other and God for their success. It was not a steroid driven group. It was not the highest paid franchise...it was the Rangers. The celebration at the end was with bottles of ginger ale..not champagne, in honor of Josh Hamilton, who has fought alcohol addiction to be where he is today. His teammates supported that..with ginger ale! They are a TEAM and not a bunch of egotistical, self-indulgent athletes.

Like most teachers, I know that every event has the potential of becoming a teachable moment and this surely is one. A manager with cocaine issues, Josh Hamilton with alcohol addiction, Colby Lewis who uprooted his family and went to Japan for two years in hopes of bettering his pitching skills, many had demons in their lives and hurdles to overcome. They did it. They knew the rewards for choosing a better road. I am certain no one regrets doing the right thing...leaving the ugly parts of their past behind. So I hope it is for my kids. I hope they can see the connection. I hope this can be inspiration.

Yes, this is lengthy but I am proud of the Red, White, and Blue Rangers who maybe have just become America's Team. Sorry Cowboys...you have a long way to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment