Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Problem With Paint.....

I have a serious problem with paint. There are hundreds of paint stores and even more colors of paint. There are beige tones that range from near white to almost brown...with green undertones, pink undertones, yellow undertones and so on. Is the light natural light, fluorescent, or incandescent? A two inch square paint sample does not give you any idea of what will be on the walls when you finish...it is a scam. It is a way to sell someone four different colors before they land on what they like. Paint makes me think of Forrest Gump and his famous quotation...."Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get." And so it goes with the color of paint.
I am on my fourth kitchen paint color in just as many years. When we bought our new house I thought I liked yellow...well I didn't, but I had freshly painted yellow walls and a very tired husband so I lived with it for a year. Then I thought the fix was to faux paint over the yellow with a tan finish...SUCH A BAD IDEA! That was worse. So I grabbed a paint roller and covered the faux paint and was back to yellow (yellow semi-gloss which is about as bad as it gets).
Okay so now I have a few extra dollars and a kitchen that I have never liked so I actually hired a painter and had the kitchen done. It was BAD. Really BAD. I knew when I got home from work that I could not live with this awful kitchen. After all the kitchen is my favorite room...it is a gathering place and no one was going to want to gather here...especially me.
So what to do??? I tried for three days to learn to like it. It just was not going to happen. Jimmy...oh, he was not going to be happy. He was not happy when I painted over the yellow the first time and this would be time number four (or five). You just have to be bold and grab a roller. So this morning I did. It is started. It may take a week or two to finish but the damage is done. It is a good color now.
I guess my poor husband will notice the change when he walks in the door from work tonight (about midnight). In the morning I will promise him that this will be the last time we paint the kitchen..until I decide I am tired of tan!

No comments:

Post a Comment