Saturday, August 6, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad....

Today is my dad's birthday. If he was still with us he would be celebrating his 90th today. Unfortunately his life was not nearly long enough. Some people get to keep their parents for a very long time. I did not have that privilege. Dad lived a short 72 years and how I wish there would have been many more than that. If I wrote what I wanted to say this would be three pages long. My dad was very special. I was blessed.

Dad was one of those unique people that really had no enemies. He had a way of drawing everyone to him, making them feel special. He was hard working and made sure we were comfortable and provided for. Dad found pleasure in just about everything but a good game of golf and his grandkids brought him the greatest joy. The memories we have of the vacations we spent in Padre Island are irreplaceable. Trips were always planned around his birthday not so much to celebrate his day but so he could watch the pleasure we all got out of being at the beach. He knew that was our favorite place and so it was really his gift to us. And he always gave to us....he never took. I never paid for a meal or a movie ticket. It was his treat. He was kind and generous to a fault. His only request..that we give back to our kids when we had them. I guess that is why I get so much pleasure in the small things I am able to do for our family now. It is my repayment to my dad who had a heart of gold.

Dad never missed a sporting event, a dance recital, or a school function. He was at his last football game in September of 1992. The heat was intense but he wore a light jacket. He did not want anyone to notice the hospital bracelet he was wearing. It was the day before the third bypass surgery..the one that he did not survive. It was hot, he was sick, but he was there. He was always there.

Dad was creative and artistic. I have so many wonderful things he created that he never felt were good enough...but they were better that good enough. Matt was blessed with so many of his positive traits..his artistic ability being one of them. I wish my dad had know the gifts he passed on to my children...but he was not here long enough to see.

I feel robbed today. I miss him so much. I want another day. I got too busy. I had four young children when he died. I was distracted...too busy...to let him know that he was a gift. Maybe he knew anyway. I just wish I could tell him again.

Happy Birthday Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment