Friday, August 12, 2011

Today is the Day.....


Today is/was the day we were supposed to tie the record. If we had reached 100 plus degrees we would have tied the record for the most consecutive days of severe heat. The last heat wave was 42 days long...the year was 1980. I lived it!! I remember it distinctly...though I would love to forget it. So here we are again. I have tracked the news nightly and watched the weatherman broadcast the temperatures and the dreaded news that there seemed to be NO end.
We have been encouraged to give up washing clothes and dishes until after dark. Keep your thermostat on 79 degrees or higher. Do not turn on lights or unnecessary appliances. Save your power! I complied and I sweated. I am patriotic in that way! I want to do my part.
So...the doom and gloom continued nightly UNTIL last night. We blew it! One day before the record setting day we feel short. We only reached 98. It was a cool front. Clouds were overhead and the temperatures remained below 100. DANG! Seriously. It did not make me want to go out and sit in a lounge chair and read a book. It did not bring my lifeless grass back to a beautiful green color. It did not decrease the electric bill that was about as big as my house payment this month. The only thing the day was good for was destroying the record. Today we are back up to 104. That will be the trend for the next two weeks.
I think we are all a bit disgusted. This has been brutal and now we have lived it with no claim to fame. We will not be able to tell anyone twenty years from now that we made it through the summer of 2012. It will be a distant memory recorded in no record books but miserable just the same. I feel cheated.

No comments:

Post a Comment