Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Bloomin'......


It is officially SPRING!!! It is the beginning of the new.....the grass is green, trees are budding, and flowers are starting to bloom. It is my favorite season....unless you go back and read any post I wrote in October about the thrill I feel when fall arrives. I have decided I must really hate winter and summer because I am on such a natural high when it is fall and spring. The truth is I LOVE being outside so any season that allows me to do that in comfort rates an A+ in my book.
It has been nothing but a great day...this time of year they are really all perfect, but today has been one of the best.
I started my day with a garbage bag and a shovel pulling out all of my dead flowers. I think my next door neighbor must have had the same "welcome spring" feeling I had. He is an elderly Asian man who lives with his daughter. He is the only person I know who is out as much as I am. His yard is alive with roses, and bushes, and greenery of all sorts. It is a treat to look at out my window.
After ridding my self of the old, it was in with the new. That means wandering the isles of all the local nurseries in search of color for my summer garden. The smells make me want to pack a picnic lunch and stay awhile. If I thought I would not draw a lot of unnecessary attention to myself, I saw just the spot that would make a great place to throw a quilt and indulge in a tuna sandwich with chips!
I hit my favorite gardens, selected some flats of flowers and headed home to plant. On my drive it occurred to me that most people in March are concerned with their brackets and the Final Four, or which beach or ski slopes sound like the best for spring break. I can find the same thrill in begonias and if I need to rationalize the expenditure, I know it is much cheaper to love plants.
My yard is beginning to take shape and I am cured of my winter blues. I am wishing I could save today forever.
How could you not love these beautiful blue skies!
I am thinking that I will just have to push reject if the substitute system calls me to work tomorrow. These days are just too nice to give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment