Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Other Side of Healthy....

I have pretty much successfully managed to make it 12 days without diet coke and M&M's. It has been a struggle. This weekend I thought if I did not get to a drive through where I could get a large drink with extra ice I would not make it. It was not the best of weekends but that is another story altogether. Suffice it to say, I stayed the course and did not crater to my cravings. I understand the plight of the alcoholic. Like my son said, it is the way that alcohol makes you feel....well, that is how my beverage of choice makes me feel. It is a stress reliever...a Prozac of sorts...for me.
I have also been on the healthier eating bandwagon. I am trying to make better choices in the grocery store. This is my observation as I attack better nutrition....it is extremely expensive!!!! The price of produce is ridiculous. Apples, and oranges are high! Bananas and broccoli are costly. It is a drain on the pocketbook to purchase all of these items.

If you choose to go the organic route just know that you are really going to have to shell out more. I do choose organic in most areas and accept the higher bill understanding the benefits.
There is an even bigger drawback to thinking nutritious...the SHELF LIFE of foods. I can pick up a bag of Oreos or sack of Starburst and know that if I can manage not to down them all in a week that they will still be edible next month. It is a well know fact the shelf life of a Twinkie is 12 years. Can you imagine how many preservatives have to be in that package to make it worthy of consumption after more than a decade passes!
I do have a strong enough constitution to pass on anything that will last that long. So, want to do? I guess the answer is more trips to the grocery store...costing more for gas which is no up to almost $4 a gallon. Bottom line...EXPENSIVE! Maybe if I am lucky it will save someday in medical bills. Here's hoping that an apple a day keeps the doctor away!

No comments:

Post a Comment