Saturday, May 12, 2012

Remember When.....


I was at the lake this weekend...by myself.  It is my annual pilgrimage to scour, dust and declutter in anticipation of our Family Lake Bash.  It is really an effort in futility because 5 minutes after the arrival of 25 guests no one even can see the clean floors!  But...I do it anyway.  While I was there I decided to go check out the recently reopened Marina (closed for a year because of extreme draught).  No reason for this sideline adventure other than a chance to escape windex and vacuums for a minute.
I happened upon a real find in my short trip.  A decaying, aged , probably antique gas pump.  It was buried in vines and has been seemingly untouched for quite some time.  It was an immediate stop for me.  Wow...how long has it been since this thing worked.  My answer...last time it pumped was when gas was 37 cents a gallon! So that was a GOOGLE quest for me. I found even more than I bargained for.
The year was 1969.
Richard Nixon was president, we were listening to Aquarius and Crystal Blue Persuasion.  If you were watching TV then chances are you were tuned into Bonanza or Mayberry RFD.  I happened to be in my last year of college and I don't remember what the gas prices were because I didn't have a car in Lubbock.  I was grateful that I had parents who paid my tuition.  I used my feet and the campus bus to get around.  I do know (through research) that the median income was $8390 a year and the Dow Jones  high was 952.  No wonder we could not pay more for gas than 37 cents a gallon.  I also know that if I had been on a hunt for this info back then I would have had to default to the World Book Encyclopedia instead of the internet.
Is that what we call the good old times?  I know that I was pretty much enjoying life back then.
So, it was a great weekend side venture.  Only a block off the road I always travel.  Wonder who else drives by there daily and does not bother to stop.  Really wish I could just pick it up and take it home.  It would always be a reminder of what used to be....back in the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment