Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day 2013......

Today is Veteran's Day. 
Today has been a tough Veteran's Day for me.  
I have been beyond my normal emotional.  
I have always had an attachment to the days set aside to honor the military.  For me they go way beyond advertised sales and discounts.  I can relate to the true meaning behind both Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.  My sons served.  They have ties to thousands who have committed to the military.  They were educated at the United States Naval Academy.  A tremendous education at a prestigious university came at a price.....a debit to be paid in years of service in the military.  Matt and Tim knew what they signed up for.  They knew when they received their diploma they would also take an oath on the same day and be commissioned as officers in the United States Navy.  As parents we knew the risks of service, we just never really knew how directly it would affect us until we lost a son.  A month after Matt's death, Tim received his "wings of gold".  That was one of the hardest moments of my life.  Tim would follow in his brother's footsteps.  It was a choice for him.  He could have changed course and gone another direction, but his heart knew that he belonged in that plane.
Today I am struggling with so many feelings.  In a little over a week Tim will leave his family, his wife and two beautiful girls, and head to Djibouti in Africa for a year.  I thought we were done, he was done.  I thought he was finally home for good.  Tim remained in the Naval Reserves when his commitment was up to better provide for his family.  Never did I ever think he would be called back to active duty....but he was.  Again, Tim had a choice.  He could have walked away when he got the call, many do.  He could forfeit his military retirement and the GI bill that will educate his girls, but Tim is a man of his word and knowing my son like I do, I never doubted what his decision would be when he was given his orders.  My heart again is hurting and I wish I could just stop the clock, but once again as sad as I am I am counting my blessings.  Tim has the support of an amazing wife who was thrown a total curve ball when she was given the news of his deployment.  My daughter-in-law has been nothing short of incredible in her support of Tim as they face this year of separation.  This will be a very long twelve months, a very tough time for all,  but Mandy has the support of much family that surrounds her and Tim has the support of a strong and willing wife.  I am grateful for once again as we face what is ahead I know our family is strong enough and strong enough is what we need.  
"Bravery is saying goodbye to the ones you love 
to go to a place you've never been to protect people you've never met".

No comments:

Post a Comment