Friday, May 22, 2015

Grateful......

It is almost Memorial Day Weekend.  
That fact is very apparent if you drop into Target, Walmart, Kroger, or anywhere else.
Check out the newspapers....want to buy something on sale?
Ready, set, go!
From cars to underware, shop this weekend. Everything is at "rock bottom prices".
 I am the consummate sale shopper.  
Tack that magic word on anything and I will buy it...needed or not.
Not this weekend!
Memorial Day took on a new meaning in 2003, the first holiday that the real meaning of this day struck home with us.
Memorial Day is meant as a day to remember and honor those who have lost their lives in service to our country.  In 2003 that was my son...not some stranger but MY son who was no longer here to celebrate with us.  
We still had the weekend at the lake, hot dogs, beer, and family but it just was not the same.
Then in 2011 things changed.  "CARRY THE LOAD" was born.  Established by two of Matt and Tim's best friends from the Academy, a 20 hour period was blocked off for those who are willing to give up the beer and hot dogs and spend their time walking and "carrying" the memory of lost loved ones, friends, and even strangers who made the ultimate sacrifice.
I am proud.  This year we will be there...we will always be there because it matters.  
I am also proud that my grandchildren are learning about why we have Memorial Day.
I am proud of Brooklynn who on her own, took her reading money and gave it to Carry the Load.  
It is a family affair and when I look at the time and effort that is put in to prepare for all of us to devote this weekend as we do, I am reminded that Matt's life matters.  What he did is not lost in a scrapbook.
We know....and we remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment