Friday, April 23, 2010

All In A Day's Work.....

Today was my day for just sitting back and observing teenage behavior in the classroom...and there is so much to observe!!! I am always armed with my camera (the project 365 thing) and just because you never know when that moment might arise that you want to capture forever. So, as my kids were working independently on their spaghetti today, I just kind of stood back and took in what I am normally to busy to notice. Like...the fact that student A thinks that washing dishes is a sit down job. Okay, so I know we are all used to dishwashers but we do not teach that skill...we do it the old fashioned way...one washes, the other dries. So who sits to do this???? They do.
Since it is the first time we have used canned goods in a lab I forgot to explain the intricacies of the electric can opener. They really do not know how it works. Now I have gone back to the old fashioned hand crank one at home just to have less junk on my counters but I forget that this is a luxury which not all kids have access to. Thus, the phrase we used often as teachers...NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING! Teachable moment....the use of electric openers. What we have mastered....correct table setting. Yes, they are proud. I am proud. They do know where the knife, fork and spoon goes. Not all of us well educated adults have knowledge of this!!!! So, I say hurray for a chapter on etiquette!
Footwear...?????...my grandpa had these. He called them his house shoes. These kids call them their shoes. They love them. Gone are the days of $150 Nikes. This is the footwear of choice. I just do not get it.
And last...but surely not least...pants on the ground. Yep, that old man saw this kid and thousands more like him and made a fortune with that tune. After years of this, I still do not understand why this is cool, comfortable, or acceptable. But, what do I know about fashion? I just know that this looks like a wedgie waiting to happen and I cannot for the life of me understand it.
So on this Friday afternoon, I have jotted down a few things that will continue to amaze me years after my classroom days are over...but I can always go back and read and reminisce and laugh!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment