Thursday, April 15, 2010

We Go Walkin'.....

So this has become my routine this week. I load Miss Brooklynn up in this little pack and we walk. I am a walker anyway...an outside person..... and walking here beats walking in Dallas anyday!!!! Especially when I can take my little friend along for the trip.

While we walk we sing..."What a Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood". Granted I am no Mr. Rogers but I remember his theme song because I used to sing it to my kids when we walked. And when I sing it here it really is a beautiful day in the neighborhood!

We walk past huge trees, beautiful flowers, and the bay and we talk. She does not talk back, well not in any language I understand yet but we do talk! I tell her about Mr. Rogers, Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Peppermint, and Howdy Doody...and all the shows that are not on TV anymore. Fred Rodgers was simple, soft spoken, and talked to you like he could see you. He hung out with Prince Tuesday and Mr. McFeely. It was quiet, easy to watch TV.
That kind of makes me sad. Brooklynn can watch Baby Einstein and Dora the Explorer and all the other new things on TV but she will never hear Fred Rogers sing.

She will have her own memories of things and will no doubt be smart beyond her time because she is already learning sign language. I picked up a few words while I was here.......but I still wish she could see Fred in his button down cardigan sweater and tennis shoes singing about his neighborhood.





No comments:

Post a Comment