Tuesday, April 27, 2010

That Time Of The Year.....

Yes, it is that time of the year again and it is hard to believe that we are interviewing for our 8th Annual Matthew Shubzda Memorial Scholarship. I always face this time of the year with such mixed emotions. I am sad that we have to give this scholarship. I would much rather that Matt was here with us. There is not a day that he is not on my mind. I miss everything about him but most of all his permanent enthusiasm for everything. He had an outlook on life that we all can only wish for and that is what I remember when I think of him...which is always.

But I count my blessing that we are again awarding this scholarship. This is a legacy. It is a reminder each year of all the friends he had. It was these friends that worked tirelessly to raise enough money for us to give a very generous scholarship each year. Yes, it has been eight years and each year as we read the applications and interview the students I am proud. I am proud that some deserving young man or woman can continue their education with financial help. I know that they know about Matt even if it is only because they read his biography on the application...but they know about him. I am proud that people loved him enough to do this for him. I am proud that we can continue to give this money for many years to come. I am proud to stand up on the stage at Naaman Forest High School each year and tell people about my son....I want them to know that character never goes out of style. I want them to know that he believed in education and worked to be the best he could be. I want them to know that everyday matters because tomorrow is promised to no one. And I want them to know what Randy Travis so wonderfully says in a song...."It is not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it is what you leave behind you when you go." Matt left much for us to remember and his friends gave much to allow us to give back.....and I am proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment