Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Time Out....

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. I love this time of year. I even LOVE to be in the kitchen. It just feels right. I loved being in my grandmother's kitchen when we had the opportunity be there on the holiday. It was small but it was busy. Everyone sat and watched all of the preparation in that tiny area. Maybe it was special because the smells stayed in there. They did not drift off to some other part of the house....the part where the men gathered.


Standing here in the peace of my "space" I had time to think about how much I have to be thankful for this year so I am taking time out for a moment to be grateful for....

A son who is home for Thanksgiving for the first time in 14 years.
A less hectic life now that I am in retirement mode.
Another son who has finished a year long project many miles from home and has hung in there when I know it was tough.
A beautiful granddaughter who gives the best hugs in the world.
A daughter in law who fits in so well and makes me feel needed.
Drew's "special friend" who has become an important part of my family.
Amazing friends who are totally irreplaceable in my life.
Sixty three years of good health and endless energy.
A daughter who sees nothing but good in people and is so grateful for the gifts she has.
A house that is warm and cozy and filled with everything that makes me know it is my HOME.
Enough to allow me to continue to take care of our special "adopted" son in Kenya. Letters from across the world are so important to me. The ability to continue his support is a priceless gift.My list is so much longer than this but it is time to get back to the kitchen and the pies in the oven.

And no, I did not forget my beloved spouse of 41 years who continues to amaze me with his support and encouragement every year during the hectic holidays. Thanks for pitching in....I really do need for you to keep in touch with your iPad while I prepare for tomorrow! I will let you know when dinner is served!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment