Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Sign of the Times....

Here we are in the middle of one of the happiest seasons of the year and I am feeling a bit sad. It is no secret that I am terribly attached to cotton quilting fabric. It holds a special place in my heart. It is a form of therapy that not many people understand.
An institution in downtown Garland is closing it doors. It is part of the square that houses a variety of family owned businesses.....those old friendly places where people know your name and shopping is personal.
I spent many hours inside of these walls. Much of the paycheck I earned each month went toward paying their rent!!! Some people find enjoyment in shopping for clothing, some love kitchen stores, and some are into home furnishings. I love fat quarters...and now it is over.
Yes, other places sell fabric but it is not the same. Only a quilter would understand this.
I can still sew. I have enough fabric stashed to keep me in business well past when my eye sight and my mind will be able to focus on my sewing machine but gone will be the days I can just walk in and look. That is half the fun and it is over.
So, during this season of Ho Ho Ho and jingle bells I am a bit remorseful and wishing that there was a way to save the quilt shop. It just will not be the same. It is probably strange to be so sad but as I said goodbye and walked out of the door for the last time I was weepy.
If this is a sign of the time then is is not a very good sign. The big box stores just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment