Sunday, August 12, 2012

Now What.....

 I am watching the closing ceremonies of the 2012 Olympics.  Oh my, I feel like I am losing a friend.  The time was perfect for the summer Olympics.  After all.... we are all being held hostage inside by this brutal heat so to have a distraction other that horrid summer reruns is perfect. I have laughed, cried, watched in wonder, and said a few not so nice words as I have watched all of this unfold for the last 16 days. 
I had the television on continually and was surprised how many events go practically unacknowledged.  Those that won a medal fencing, rowing, sailing, and biking were surely not front page news like the swimmers and gymnasts. Is their accomplishment any less meaningful...not in their eyes!
Will we ever forget Gabby Douglas "the flying squirrel"?  I know I won't....but then the media has to discredit the awesome spirit of her win but reporting on the fact that her mother has filed for bankruptcy and Gabby does not have to be held financially responsible for the debts she has incurred.  Then let us spend a lot of air time debating the fact that she has nappy hair and someone should help her.  I think the responsible parties should loose their journalism credentials. Need we also debate whether or not Michael Phelps is the greatest Olympian of all time?  Yes, he has more opportunities to win medals by virtue of the fact that he swims so many events....yes, he does swim them and he wins them.  Take your medals and be proud Mr. Phelps.  I am on board with your wins.  Usain Bolt please go ahead and be cocky.  Maybe your height works in your favor but you are one amazing athlete and I admire you.
Proctor and Gamble "proud sponsor of moms" I also want to applaud you for the great commercials that highlighted so many mother moments that allowed us to watch the thrill of victory and agony of defeat on your faces.  Though my children are not Olympic athletes, I know what it is like to sit in the stands.  You deserve air time!
And before I close I want it to be duly noted that I once had Olympic aspirations even if I only made it to the Junior Olympics.  Somewhere tucked way in a baggy are a few medals of various colors...none gold... that I was very proud to accept.  You see this is important because I have absolutely no talent.  I cannot sing, dance, draw, play a piano or do anything else I once aspired to do.  I tried out for the drill team twice in high school....FAIL.  My report said "nice smile"...no rhythm!  So, I am thankful for a mom that shoved me out the door at 6:30 am so I could ride my bike to practice.  No danger in cycling three miles back in the day.  I was also fortunate to be trained by Joan Spillane, a 1960 Olympic Gold Medal winner.  I remember it well.  She was awesome and the thing I envied the most were her sandals.  To this day I can visualize clearly how I coveted her shoes.  Maybe I didn't really have my heart in Olympic gold after all.
Thank you Great Britain for hosting.  It was a great sixteen days.

No comments:

Post a Comment