Sunday, August 19, 2012

Right Around The Corner......

 It is that time of year already.  Summer activities are winding down.  Family trips to the store are not for pool toys and picnic supplies....now everyone is in school shopping mode.  I was never a fan of seeing summer end.  I did not dread having the kids at home.  It was a lazy time.  We did not have to juggle multiple schedules and hurried meals.  We stayed up late and slept in.  Our days were filled with...WHATEVER!
 What I do miss is back to school shopping.  I loved picking out those perfect first day outfits for the kids.  New tennis shoes, a few pair of jeans and the mandatory "suspenders"???  I seriously do not remember choosing these!  I am relatively sure that my son was not the only one sporting something besides a belt to hold up his pants....just not sure why that made a statement in fifth grade!
It was a joyous day when we could add hairbows and dresses to our shopping list.  Boys were just so ordinary....with the exception of the suspender era, which I happened to notice in other photos went with the often overlooked season of tight roll jeans.  If only those that think sagging is so fashionable could have witnessed a true fashion statement!

Not to be overlooked was the mission to find the best buys on school supplies.  I am grateful to have missed today's prepackaged supplies.  The thrill of the hunt was personally selecting your folders and crayon boxes.  It was a big day when we graduated from big chief tablets to notebook paper.  I loved it.  It might just have been more fun for me than the kids.  I was and still am a bargain hunter so glue sticks at 10 for a $1 was cause for celebration.  We loaded up for the year and I promise that my children can all tell you the tale of how all excess school supplies were stored in our never used wet bar.  The path to obtain needed supplies..."please walk behind the wing back chair, and do not make tracks on the carpet"!
Ah...the memories.  Tonite I am missing getting ready for school!

No comments:

Post a Comment