Saturday, May 3, 2014

Gearin' Up.....

I have not seen these shoes in a year.
  I seriously had to hunt through the mess on the floor of my closet to locate them...because it is time!
It is time to pretend like I enjoy exercise.  No, I don't walk, ride a stationary bike, jump rope, or do aerobics.  Surely I need to but other things call my name.
So, why the sudden need to get fit?
It is time for "Carry the Load".
I have exactly three weeks to make my body think fitness matters because I have a goal this year.
Last year I made it just short of 7 miles.  It was awful!  I was not prepared.  I did it because when you see people with artificial limbs, people in their 80's, young men in wheel chairs, and firemen in  full gear with firehoses hanging over their shoulder making the trek, you push yourself beyond what is comfortable.
 This year I am making 14 miles my goal.  That is two full laps of the course.  I am not taking this on in one long walk.  I plan to do the first and last lap.  I can do it.  It is not supposed to be easy.  It is supposed to be hard.  It is hard as a public servant be it military, firemen, or policemen to face what is in front of you everyday.  It is hard as a parent, wife, child, brother, or sister to lose a loved one because of the commitment that loved one made.  I know.  My family all knows.  
To join with so many others that understand the sacrifice and are willing to give up their weekend to walk, share stories,  and hugs is an honor.
 One of my proudest parent moments was the end of the walk in 2012 when Drew crossed the finish line with Steven Holley carrying 20 lbs. of weight and completing 42 miles.  It was a mission for him and still is.  He was the catalyst that drove us all to come out. Now our whole family is involved.  
It matters.

We are missing one of our links this year.  
Tim will be walking with us but he will cover his distance across the ocean in Africa.  We will still be together in spirit and we will be remembering...
because that is what Memorial Day is about.
It is about "Carrying the Load".


No comments:

Post a Comment