Thursday, May 1, 2014

Happy May Day......

Happy May 1st!  It is May Day and to be perfectly honest I am not sure why I even thought of this today...except it is a beautiful day and I thought it called for taking the morning off to sit and do nothing.  My intent is to soak in the beauty of today for as long as I can get away with it (other things looming in the distance that will need to be addressed sometime today...but not now!).  It is now noon and I am on the patio, teeth not brushed, and still in my pajamas, which is how I took Sara to work today.  Do not judge...it is May Day!  I am doing this totally guilt free!
Kids used to look forward to today because it meant May baskets and dancing around the Maypole.  Being raised in a Catholic school, today meant crowning the Virgin Mary in the courtyard.  I can actually still remember the song we sang as we put those flowers on the top of that statue.  The highlight of your grade school year had to be chosen to be the one to get assigned that task.  I loved that day.  I know they still do it in parochial schools.  I was at church last year on May 1st.  
Just a huge moment of deja vu. 
Today, I have declared another holiday....I do that often.
My gardenias are blooming!  I love gardenias about as much as peonies.  
They also take me back in time to the smells in my years growing up.  
Our front flower bed was full of gardenias.  I loved to sit outside and smell them at night.  I must have had a need for outside and the beauty of flowers even when I was young.  
As soon as my plants begin to bloom, I know all is right with the world!

Today I have started a new book, had two cups of coffee, browsed through some blogs on my computer and read what is new on Facebook.  I have a sink full of dishes, sheets to wash, and a floor to mop due to a bowl of cooked rice falling all over it two days ago. Jimmy is due home from work in 30 minutes so I am going to get up from my spot on this lawn chair soon....maybe.
But...for a few more minutes I am going to look at the this tray on our outdoor mantle and think how appropriate it is today and be EVER SO THANKFUL for the chance to savor the morning...after all it is May Day!

This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24

No comments:

Post a Comment