Sunday, October 18, 2009

Seven Years.....

It was seven years ago today that you took off from an airstrip at NAS Lemoore and landed in the arms of God. It has been a tough time. There are days I accept this and there are days I still get very angry. I have, however, come to realize that it is a reality. No, it is not okay but at some point you accept that things are what they are. This is somehow God's plan and though I am not sure why you are gone, I know that your life has touched people in many ways, Matt. We are still blessed by the fact that due to many kind and generous friends, a scholarship is given in your name to a deserving high school senior each year. I know that would make you very proud.

We have a beautiful new member of our family now. I know that Brooklynn will know you through stories and pictures and the memories we have of wonderful times together. She is the gift that has made this day easier this year than past years. God has blessed us in many ways and I am grateful for family and friends that love and support us still now.

This day will never be easy as I still wonder why in a mere moment the picture of our lives changed forever. That split second that two planes could have veered a slightly different direction could have meant saving the lives of four men whose families will never be the same. It is a second that changes a whole lifetime. For those families I pray for peace and good thoughts to fill their day today, as that is what we are focusing on. We know your days are blessed and someday we will share those same blessings together as a family again in heaven.

Until then know, Matt, that you were a gift and though 27 years was not near long enough, it was more than some have. Those years were full of so many wonderful moments and we thank God that we have that to hold on to.

I love you,

MOM

1 comment:

  1. what a sweet letter to your son. with tears streaming down my face, i am so touched. matt was such a wonderful friend to ken and i and we miss him dearly. peace to you today...i know these days are not easy. you all are in our prayers. love, ken and cort

    ReplyDelete