Friday, December 11, 2009

Cookie Monsters....

It was cookie week at school. I love it when we do frosted sugar cookies. It is a two day process and it is always the perfect time to let up a little and have fun. Finals are around the corner and stress levels are high....not to mention thoughts of Christmas break and sleeping in.
For most of the kids it is the first time they have slathered messy frosting on cookies and showed a bit of creativity. They love it and once again, I love watching them.
I wonder sometimes why I do so many stories about my other children...and maybe that is it. They are my other children. I spend 40 hours a week with these kids. I get to know them. I know their personalities, faults, idiosyncrasies, and problems. They are all different and many deal with situations that break my heart.
If they can come in my classroom, learn something practical, and have an hour and a half to be kids and put all of the other distractions that are in their heads aside...then I have succeeded. I know the time is close to give this up and enjoy another type of life but at this time of year I love every day. I do love these kids and I miss them terribly when a new batch arrives in January. It is a one semester course and very soon new faces will walk though my door and I begin all over again.
And when I am struggling with new students and personalities that seem more than I can handle, I will look on my desk and know that someone thought enough of me to make me this great nameplate....and it was probably that student that caused me the most headaches for an entire semester!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment